Sat. meeting 8:00 est: Less is More

With the understanding that addiction is a disease and the realization that we are powerless over it as well as over people's lives, we are ready to do something useful and constructive with our own.

Then, and only then can we be of any help to others.

Moderator: DianeB

Sat. meeting 8:00 est: Less is More

Postby jjabc » Sat Mar 03, 2012 9:39 am

Tonight’s topic will be: When Less Is More
I have been spending some time looking back at my recovery journey and remembered what life was back when I first came here. I wanted to be rescued. I wanted to be advised. What is the harm in that? I wanted to be “fixed overnight”. But it is the path we take that makes the most impression on our recovery, not the destination, as there is no final destination. Recovery takes a lifetime.
I felt like a failure when I couldn’t do what everyone else was doing. I wanted a sponsor, I wanted to work the steps, I wanted to do meetings, I wanted to go to meetings, I wanted to learn to meditate, I wanted to journal, and write daily gratitude lists, post on the forum, go to face to face meetings, and read everything in sight. But what I did was to get so frazzled that I felt even more like a failure, and more stressed. OMG, how did these people get all this done and work a job? So, I finally chose to just pick two things and throw myself into those.
I read a little story today that someone wrote about watching a reality show about reviving struggling restaurants. The premise is that an expert comes in to help save a family business—and in the process helps the owners rebuild their relationships and their lives. In the beginning, the expert suggested the family reduce their menu from multiple pages to just one. In many instances, less is more.
Having a lower quantity allows more time to focus on quality; and also allows more time for connection.
I started my journey with reading the forum every single day, and then slowly added more. I have been here 16 months and still haven’t gotten to where I want to be on my journey. I still haven’t added meditation or started a meeting or attended a conference. Sometimes I had my journey all mapped out, then hit a road block and had to remap my route. My Tom Tom will redirect me to go a different way to get back on track. Sometimes those mistakes lead me to discover some things that I might not have, had I taken the intended route.
We have so many new people here now, and hope they will take comfort in knowing that they don’t have to do it all in day one, just take that first small step, then another. The direction you take is yours.
I hope everyone will share the map of their recovery journey. Just as journeys begin from where we are at the time, so does our recovery.
jjabc

Re: Sat. meeting 8:00 est: Less is More

Postby Ninaloy87 » Sat Mar 03, 2012 11:32 am

Great topic. See you at 8
Ninaloy87

Postby mcollins5 » Sat Mar 03, 2012 12:09 pm

Great topic! I'm excited for tonight :)

Mary
mcollins5

Postby jjabc » Sat Mar 03, 2012 12:23 pm

Hey Guys,
We can be wild and wooly tonight.
All the cats are away at the convention in PA, and you know that old saying, "when the cat is away the mice will play". LOL

Jay
jjabc

Return to Nar-Anon Family Groups Recovery Forum